Welcome to Year 6
Our class teachers are:
Mrs Benn (Tuesday-Friday)
Miss Puckey (Monday am)
Mr Bowker (Monday pm)
Please see our new Curriculum Map for Spring Term 2020 which outlines the exciting things that we will cover in Year 6. The curriculum has been updated for the new academic year and has many exciting cross-curricular links!
- Homework will be set weekly for Maths, Reading, SPaG and Spelling.
- It will be set on Showbie but paper copies will be available if there are any issues logging on.
- Please see the table below which outlines the homework timetable.
|Activity:||Set on:||Due in on:|
|Reading comprehension||Monday||Following Monday|
|Times Table Rockstars||Ongoing||Ongoing|
- Spellings will be set on a Monday and assessed on the following Monday.
- Children will practise their spellings in class throughout the week but MUST also practise at home!
- Spellings will be sent to parents on school app in news folder for their year group.
Here is the Year 5/6 Spelling list from the National Curriculum:
- Reading continues to be important in Year 6 and hopefully by this stage children should be engaged with and excited by a range of books. Children get to choose a book that they can read both at school and at home. Once finished, they need to complete a review sheet and have it checked by me before choosing another.
- Ideally, children in Year 6 should be aiming to read for 30 minutes each day.
- In Year 6, children are expected to know ALL their times tables and need to ensure that they are practised every day.
- All children have a Times Tables Rockstars account which they should used as a part of their homework.
- If your child has forgotten their login details, please get in touch and I can get it sorted for them.
- Year 6 will have their outdoor day on a Monday. Please ensure your child is wearing appropriate clothing and footwear to be working and learning within the outside environment.
- The children will have two hours of PE a week.
- In Spring 1, Year 6 will go swimming on a Monday morning. Children MUST be at school on time, ready to leave promptly at 08:55.
- All students should have full PE kit with both indoor and outdoor footwear in case they go outside.
- Earrings are strictly forbidden to be worn in PE and should be removed before school unless the child is competent taking them out and putting them in themselves.
Year 6 SATs
- Here is the timetable for SATs week. The assessment tasks take place during the mornings of an otherwise normal school week.
Please ensure that your child attends school for each paper for each subject, otherwise a grade cannot be awarded.
Week beginning Monday 13th May 2019
Session 1 Session 2 Monday 13th May Spelling, punctuation and grammar test Tuesday 14th May Reading test Wednesday 15th May Maths Arithmetic, Paper 1 Maths Reasoning, Paper 2 Thursday 16th May Maths Reasoning, Paper 3
Some tips which may be useful to you:
- Make sure your child has a good night’s sleep the night before the test
- Make sure your child has a nutritious breakfast on the morning of the test and that your child is feeling happy and confident when they leave for school.
- Make sure your child arrives at school on time and not in a rush.
- Encourage your child to do their best.
Websites and resources you might find useful: