Welcome to Year 6!
Our class teacher is:
Mr Bowker will teach us every Tuesday and Thursday afternoon.
Please see our Curriculum Map for Autumn Term 2022/2023, which outlines the exciting things that we will cover in Year 6. The curriculum has been updated for the new academic year and has many exciting cross-curricular links.
- For Autumn term, homework will be TT Rockstars every night (unless you prefer your child to complete paper-based tasks), Spellings set on EDSHED and Reading - the Year 6 standard & expectation for this is 30 minutes per night.
- Spellings will be set on a Friday and assessed on the following Friday.
- Children will practise their spellings and be taught new spelling rules in class throughout the week. It is important that all children MUST also practise at home.
Here is the Year 5/6 Spelling list from the National Curriculum:
- We love reading in Year 6 and this continues to be of high importance throughout your child's time in their final year of primary school. Hopefully by this stage children should be engaged with and excited by a range of books. Mrs R-S will be setting up lots of exciting reading challenges throughout the year enabling the children opportunities to read high quality texts both at school and at home.
- In Year 6 we aim to read for 30 minutes each day at home.
- As well as independent reading and reading for pleasure, we focus on a variety of fun and engaging reading comprehension activities in class.
- In Year 6, children are expected to know ALL their times tables and need to ensure that they are practised every day.
- All children have a TT Rockstars account which they should used as a part of their homework.
- If your child has forgotten their login details, please get in touch and I can get it sorted for them.
Outdoor Day - Terra Firma Thursday
- Year 6 will have their outdoor day every THURSDAY. Your child is invited to wear their new outdoor uniform on this day.
- The children will have two hours of PE a week on a TUESDAY and THURSDAY.
- All pupils should wear their outdoor uniform on these days. If your child would like to wear a pair of shorts for PE then please send these into school separately. These can be kept in your child's storage box for the term.
- Earrings are strictly forbidden to be worn in PE and should be removed before school unless the child is competent taking them out and putting them in themselves.
- This term swimming will be in a slightly different format to previous years. Further details to follow.
I am extremely excited and very much looking forward to a hard-working, enjoyable and fun year in Year 6. Thank you in advance for your support.
If you have any worries, questions or concerns, then as always please don't hesitate to either pop in and speak to me. Alternatively, you can contact me via email.
Work hard, Dream Big & NEVER Give up.