Welcome to Year 5!
Class Teacher: Mrs Kaighan & Mr Bowker (Tuesday, Thursday and Friday)
Support Staff: Mrs Bragg, Mrs Stockill and Mrs West
Please see our Curriculum Maps which outlines the exciting things that we will cover in Year 5.
Outdoor Day - Muddy Monday
- Year 5 will have their outdoor day every Monday. Your child is invited to wear their new outdoor uniform on this day.
- The children will have two hours of PE a week on Monday and Wednesday.
- All pupils should have full PE kit with both indoor and outdoor footwear in case they go outside.
- Earrings are strictly forbidden to be worn in PE and should be removed before school unless the child is competent taking them out and putting them in themselves.
- This term Year 5 will be swimming on a Monday. Please make sure your child has their swimming items and are in school for 8:45am
- Reading: 20-25 minutes independent reading daily to be recorded in the Homework Reading folder on Showbie. Once they have finished their book, children should write a review to include the title and author, the plot and what they liked or disliked about the book. These can be a voice note or text note in the same Showbie folder.
- Times tables: to be practised daily for ten minutes using TT Rockstars or an alternative method.
- Spellings: to be practised using Spelling Shed or an alternative method. a weekly test on Friday
Please do get in touch if you are unable to access any of these online platforms.
- We strive to foster a love of books through all of our lessons and in the reading books chosen by the children.
- Children will have the opportunity to read for pleasure in school every day so they will always need to have a book with them.
- Children are welcome to bring a book from home or to choose from our class library.
- Children will be revisiting all of the times tables in Year 5 in order to increase fluency.
- All children have a TT Rockstars account which they should used as a part of their homework.
- Showbie: https://www.showbie.com/
- TTRockstars: https://play.ttrockstars.com/
- Spelling Shed: https://www.spellingshed.com/en-gb/
At Holy Family, we always welcome open communications between parents, pupils and teachers, therefore please do get in touch via email or telephone if you have any questions or would like to speak to myself or a member of our Year 5 team and we can arrange an appointment.
Thank you for your continued support,
The Year 5 team