Pupil Discipline Committee
Terms of reference:
· To consider representations from parents in the case of exclusions of 5 days or less (Committee may not re-instate)
· To consider representations from parents in the case of exclusions totalling more than 5 but not more than 15 school days in one term (meeting to be held between 6th and 50th school days after receiving notice of the exclusion)
· To consider the appropriateness of any permanent exclusion or any exclusion where one or more fixed period exclusions total more than 15 school days in one term or where a pupil is denied the chance to take a public examination (meeting to be held between 6th and 15th school days after receiving notice of the exclusion)
· To review the School Behaviour and Discipline Policy, and make recommendations on changes to the Governing Body or relevant committee
Membership – 3 or 5
- The Governing Body may nominate a pool of governors from which three or five will serve as the Discipline Committee to consider particular exclusions. If a governor has a connection with the pupil or the incident that could affect their ability to act impartially they should not serve at the hearing. If, through non-attendance of a governor, four members consider an exclusion, the chair has the casting vote.
Disqualification – The Head teacher
Any Governor with prior knowledge of the pupil or the incident.
(It is suggested that neither the Chair of Governors nor a member of staff, due to probable prior knowledge, should be a member)
These terms of reference agreed by the Governing Body